Friday, May 30, 2008

Where Have All the Leaders Gone?

I grew up in what used to be Canada's Motor City, Windsor, Ontario, just south of Detroit, Michigan. (Check a map for this geographic quirk!) At that time, Lee Iacocca was a mainstay in any news related to the auto industry, and though I've been out of touch with his post-retirement life, he remains a passionate leader.

Just this evening I started reading Iacocca’s “Where Have All the Leaders Gone?”. In the opening chapter, Lee highlights the need for leaders who have what he calls the 'Nine C’s of Leadership':
Curiosity, Creativity, Communication, Character, Courage, Conviction, Charisma, Common Sense, Crisis Management…. Who can argue?

I have to tell you that for an 82 year old, he writes (dictates?) with spunk! Although his motivation is to light a fire among citizens of all ages and to encourage the selection of effective leaders, the liveliness and passion in his writing speaks convincingly of the types of leaders that are required in education at this time of educational transformation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rodd,
Now that I FINALLY visited your blog, I see that I have a long way to go. Sounds like a great book to pick up, I wish I had his spunk and I'm 34! Thanks for all the help.

Paul C said...

Hi Rodd,
Mr. Iaccoca turned Chrysler around from the brink. His leadership skills would receive quite a challenge today. One hopes that the manufacturing sector will return to full health in Ontario and North America.

Good point about applying his skills in an educational context.